The results are in for the national board of directors of the Society of Broadcast Engineers. Members elected Wayne Pecena, (CPBE, 8-VSB, AMD, DRB, CBNE) as the society’s president. Pecena is the assistant director of educational broadcast services at Texas A&M University where he serves as director of engineering for public broadcast stations KAMU-FM and KAMU-TV. He’s a member of SBE chapter 99 in College Station, TX.
Regarding the election, President-elect Pecena said, “I look to continue the strategic planning implementation work that began under President Leifer while ensuring that future certification, continuing education, and professional service needs of all SBE members are met as our industry and technology continues to change.”
Others serving one-year terms as officers, which begin on October 16, are:
- Vice President: Andrea Cummis, CBT, CTO; Chapter 15 New York; Roseland, NJ
- Secretary: Kevin Trueblood, CBRE, CBNT; Chapter 90 Southwest, FL; Ft. Myers, FL
- Treasurer: Ted Hand, CPBE, 8-VSB, AMD, DRB; Chapter 45 Charlotte; Charlotte, NC
Serving two-year terms on the board of directors, which also begin October 16 are:
- Mark Fehlig, PE, CPBE, 8-VSB; Chapter 40 San Francisco; Walnut Creek, CA
- Charles “Ched” Keiler, CPBE, 8-VSB, CBNE; Chapter 53 South Florida; Ft. Lauderdale
- Geary Morrill, CPBE, CBNE; Chapter 91 Central Michigan; Saginaw, MI
- Jason Ornellas, CBRE, CRO; Chapter 43 Sacramento; Sacramento, CA
- Chris Tarr, CSRE, AMD, DRB, CBNE; Chapter 28 Milwaukee; Milwaukee, WI
- Dan Whealy, CBTE; Chapter 96 Rockford; Waterloo, IA
The national board of directors of the SBE is responsible for the development of policy and determines the programs and services the society provides to its more than 5,000 members. Those elected will begin their terms on October 16, during the SBE Membership Meeting.
They will join the other six directors who have another year remaining in their terms: Stephen J. Brown, CPBE, CBNT, director of broadcast engineering, Woodward Radio Group, Appleton, WI; Roswell Clark, CPBE, CBNT, senior director of radio engineering, Cox Media Group, Clearwater, FL; Kirk Harnack, CBRE, CBNE, senior solutions consultant, Telos Alliance, Nashville, TN; Vinny Lopez, CEV, CBNT, chief engineer, WSTM/WTVH/WSTQ-TV, Syracuse, NY; Thomas McGinley, CPBE, AMD, CBNT, president, McGinley Enterprizes, Missoula, MT; and Shane Toven, CBRE, CBNT, field engineer, Educational Media Foundation, Laramie, WY. Jim Leifer, CPBE, senior manager of broadcast operations at American Tower Corporation, Andover, MA, becomes the immediate past president.
The SBE National Meeting will be held October 15-16, in Madison, WI, in conjunction with the Wisconsin Broadcasters Clinic.
September 3, 2019