Narda Safety Test Solutions (STS), a company that labels itself a “hidden champion,” announced the firm is celebrating its twentieth year in business. The “hidden” part refers to the claim that many of its accomplishments over those two decades have taken place out of sight in the area of test equipment for electric, magnetic, and electromagnetic fields (EMF).
Founded in 2000 by the USA-based L3Harris Technologies in New York, the RF test equipment specialist originated as part of the former Wandel & Goltermann Group, which was a pioneer in analog and later digital telecommunications test equipment. Narda Germany, with its headquarters in Pfullingen in Baden Wuerttemberg, is now a company within L3Harris Technologies, which was newly formed following the merger in the U.S. of L3 Technologies with Harris in 2019.
Narda products for the EMF Safety sector include broadband and selective measuring devices, measuring stations and personal monitors. All these are used wherever people are exposed to EMF. Second to industrial plants for welding and smelting, this applies particularly to antenna installations for radio and TV broadcasting, and telecommunications, as well as to the public domain.
RF Test & Measurement instruments are employed on site in urgent situations as manual direction finders by telecoms, the military, and regulatory authorities, and in the development and production environment as fast, real time spectrum analyzers.
The EMC test receivers have become established as a standardized full compliance solution, particularly in industry and test laboratories. The receiver modules are mounted directly on the antennas and offer considerable advantages in dynamic range.
Key product developments include:
- The RadMan device is a personal radiation monitor that gives reliable, timely warning of electromagnetic radiation.
- SRM (Selective Radiation Meter) can automatically determine from among a whole mixture of frequencies which source, e.g. which cellular network provider is causing the highest exposure level at a given time.
- The IDA is an instrument that allows clients, particularly from the ranks of regulatory authorities, to quickly and simply trace rogue transmitters and eliminate interference. The “Horizontal Scan” function, a compass display of incoming interference signals, was simply unavailable in a handheld direction finder prior to the IDA.
- The SignalShark sets new standards regarding measurement speed, sampling rates, and real time bandwidth. Users have in their hands a measuring instrument with a POI (Probability of Intercept) so far unmatched in its class. The instrument detects hidden signals right down to a signal duration of 3.2 μs with 100% probability. This means that it can identify and direction find rapid hopping signals and radar.
- Finally, the new, automatic direction finding antenna ADFA 2 together with the SignalShark forms the world’s most compact solution to precision direction finding of signals from 10 MHz up to 8 GHz.